Attention forum members! Please read "Zenyatta.com Forum Rules" and "Posting Images – Rules & Guidelines"
If you DO NOT have an account here and would like one, please email us at forum@zenyatta.com

Does Anyone Know Who "Z"'s Been Bred To For 2014 Yet?

edited May 2013 in Zenyatta
Just wondering who Zenyatta was bred to this year? Does anyone know yet? It is hard to wait you know!!! :)

Comments

• I think she was but the Mosses are superstious so probably won't "offically" announce it until her 60 day gestation? That;'s when we heard she was in foal to both Bernardini and Tapit.
  • I think she was but the Mosses are superstious so probably won't "offically" announce it until her 60 day gestation? That;'s when we heard she was in foal to both Bernardini and Tapit.

We'll know before then. They won't say if she is pregnant until she's 60 days in foal, but they will say who they plan to breed her to before it happens. We knew Bernardini was her first breeding long before it actually happened (there's even a diary post that talks a little bit about the actual breeding), and we were told she was going to go to Tapit for her 2013 foal before they bred her to him as well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lesliec said:

Doesn't she get some time off????

we've already talked about this before and if you look at her she enjoys being a mom. she is not a breeding machine, she is a very well taken care of horse and CLEARLY loved by all around her.

• Does she look like she wants time off? How can you tell? She looks supremely happy to me. She "works" only about 6 months a year foaling and then keeping an eye on the foal and teaching it manners, and how to eat, run, etc. The rest of the year she just hangs out, taking time off from everything.
  • lol could u imagine if we got 6 months to raise our kids before they moved out of the house?
  • Yeah. I remember enjoying (most of the time) the first 10 to 11 years or so, and then wishing that someone (would have to be a desperate woman) would invent a kind of chamber or cocoon where you could put the adolescent children for a 10-year induced coma, during which probes to the brain, connected to a computer, would download all the knowledge and information an adult human being needs to function in the world, and then they would emerge at the end as fully civilized adults with none of the awful baggage from the teenaged angst that is so harmful to the mental health of parent and child. The risk to this plan is that it would be too easy to brain wash the comatose child. Of course the present system does a pretty good job of doing that right now. Maybe a healthy administration of critical thinking skills would be beneficial in either system. Brave New World.
  • hey, no bad children anymore lol
  • @ lesliec, she doe not need time off this year. She's young, she's healthy, she's had no problems related to foaling, and she's an excellent mother. She will probably be bred this year for a mid-late April 2014 foal. She may get the next year off or not, depending on how her owners feel about May foals. If they don't want a May foal, then they'll leave her open following the birth and breed her early in 2015. If she is bred in 2014 for a May 2015 baby, then she would very likely be left open and be bred early in 2016.

Of course, if for some reason her veterinarians advise against breedig her, then she won't be bred. Her body will also give her a break naturally, should she need one.
  • Thank you lauraj_cincinnati!
  • Zenyatta is a horse, she loves being a horse. Zenyatta is not a pet, she is a horse who in this phase of her life, loves being a mother. Why would her people not allow Zenny to be a horse and do the things she loves to do? Pregnancy and motherhood in horses is different from pregnancy and motherhood in humans. Although a colt/filly is inside of the mare for 11 months. The foal remains with his/her mother for 6-7 months, learning enormous knowledge from the mommy horse until the weaning occurs. Then the mommy horse has nothing more to do with her little boy or girl. It's off to training with humans for racing.
    Time for the mare to have a date with a charming, handsoome boyfriend and start getting her figure back a bit. Then the mare can start thinking baby, while munching and paying around with all of her girlfriends. I think they compare notes on their boyfriends and their trips to those sheds. Don't you wish we could translate everything they say. Wonder if some of them tell a few white lies here and there?
    Zenyatta is being treated like the Royal that she is. h+
  • I agree with those who see breeding her again is no problem for a fine, healthy, well cared for horse. She was even dappled out in her delivery photos and still is! What a girl. Mares in the wild foal every year, a natural thing to do. She is in her prime. Excellent broodmares can be bred sometimes when they are 20 yrs old. I don't think the Moss's would ever do anything to risk her health. I REALLY want to know the sire that was selected for her!!!!!!!!! PLEASE tell us now.:)
  • Hah! I only WISH I could go into a coma for 10 years!! I can barely manage 8 hours if I'm lucky! LOL.
  • edited June 2013
    This is a comment from another discussion "Who do you think is going to be Zenyatta's next date?"...where several assumptions were presented as to why the Moses have not released the name of the stallion that Zenyatta was bred to...
    "Remember when Zenyatta didn't take on the first cover from Bernardini and the Mosses withheld announcing anything until the 60th day to be sure the second cover took? Maybe it's a combination of all of your assumptions mentioned above. If this recent cover didn't take, it would be too late in the foaling season for a 2nd attempt. Rather than announce too early, maybe the Mosses just want to be sure everything is confirmed. AND if Zenyatta didn't take then the public should not be disappointed with a letdown...the Mosses have every right NOT TO release the name of the stallion if things didn't work out. So your assumptions appear to work along this strategy. "

Zenyatta was probably bred in early May (May 8th?)... Count 60 days will get you EARLY JULY before we would get any formal announcements...We just need to hang in there and be patient. The Moses just want to be sure of everything before they announce any updates to us. I know...we all are anxious...but time does fly!...before you know it...It will be July! As Rachel's mantra states: "KEEP CALM...TRUST THE MOSES"

And as for 2014...assuming this year's cover took...Zenyatta may be facing a late foaling (mid June?) if she would be bred in 2014 this could be a developmental disadvantage for her foal as they all are given a birthdate of Jan 1st even though they were born in the late summer/fall/winter of 2015. Only an assumption...but probably, they may skip breeding Zenyatta in 2014. If they do breed her in 2014...then most likely they will hold off breeding her in 2015. A June foal might not be considered a late season foal to some...but remember-Zenyatta was a slow developing filly and that would probably be a heavy factor on how late in the year they can or will breed her for next year or 2015.
  • "If" Zenyatta's body needs a rest she won't get into foal. They can try all they want but that fetus won't survive. Mother Nature is VERY adept at this.

I know some farms breed and breed and breed. And then they do that embryo transfer thing. Can't do it with tbs. Against all regs.

Honestly I can't think of another mare who is in the limelight as much as Z is. If she were unhappy or unhealthy you and I would be able to CLEARLY see it in the pics. She'd lose all her dapples and that wonderful shine to her coat. Some of that you can fake with makeup but not the eyes.

This is only my guess. We know the Moss's don't breed back on the foal heat. So that makes mid May her next cycle. Perfect time for an April baby. The Moss's usually don't send their horses to the Derby. So time is not a factor in this case. Most breeders want their babies on the ground as early in Jan as possible because that makes them older if they get to the Derby. But I believe the stats show a higher mortality rate for early born foals than later born ones. I think it has to do with weather.

Another thing to keep in mind is this. Mares don't usually get into trouble being pregnant and providing for this years baby. If that were to happen you'd can be sure the Moss's would know about it immediately. The time that starts telling on the mare is after the 6 month line. Interesting that that is the time most farms use to wean. So Z can handle a baby under foot and being pregnant.

I wish this site had a page dedicated to this specific issue. Because I know it will keep rearing its ugly head again and again. Then we'd have a page to send people to for them to read and digest things.

lesliec said:

Doesn't she get some time off????

• A correction here. Z and Bernie's first date did take. Z was checked at 30 days and still in foal. A couple days she was checked again and the fetus was absorbed.

That is when the Moss's decided not to announce anything to the 60 days period. Many people were really upset, didn't understand that this can happen to maiden mares. Sometimes these things just happen and there isn't any explanation for it. With folks screaming constantly about transparency I'm certain this got difficult.

For myself, I downloaded several vet books. I wanted to know why. In my search to gain some understanding I found a treasure chest full of info on horses.

One thing I noted (and this has a lot more to do with the wild horses than anything else), was if a mare miscarried in the first 50 days it was referred to as early fetal loss (something rather benign to that effect). After 50 days it is called ABORTION. Not one vet book referred to a mare miscarrying her fetus. The reason for me to point this out is because in early 2010 many mares were rounded up in NV. Many of them aborted their late term fetuses. BLM likes to call that spontaneous abortion. There is nothing spontaneous about any of it. Mares were run in the dead of winter, up and down hills, over lava rock.

Do not fall for the BLM rhetoric. They need to be calling it what it is. Laura Leigh watched helplessly while 2 foals laid in an open corral (no windbreak, no shelter) while there hooves literally fell off. This is exercised induced laminitis. BLM reports at the time showed little to no medical intervention.

If you wanna complain about year after year breeding--start with BLM policy. That will disgust you.

This is a comment from another discussion "Who do you think is going to be Zenyatta's next date?"...where several assumptions were presented as to why the Moses have not released the name of the stallion that Zenyatta was bred to...
    "Remember when Zenyatta didn't take on the first cover from Bernardini and the Mosses withheld announcing anything until the 60th day to be sure the second cover took? Maybe it's a combination of all of your assumptions mentioned above. If this recent cover didn't take, it would be too late in the foaling season for a 2nd attempt. Rather than announce too early, maybe the Mosses just want to be sure everything is confirmed. AND if Zenyatta didn't take then the public should not be disappointed with a letdown...the Mosses have every right NOT TO release the name of the stallion if things didn't work out. So your assumptions appear to work along this strategy. "

Zenyatta was probably bred in early May (May 8th?)... Count 60 days will get you EARLY JULY before we would get any formal announcements...We just need to hang in there and be patient. The Moses just want to be sure of everything before they announce any updates to us. I know...we all are anxious...but time does fly!...before you know it...It will be July! As Rachel's mantra states: "KEEP CALM...TRUST THE MOSES"

And as for 2014...assuming this year's cover took...Zenyatta may be facing a late foaling (mid June?) if she would be bred in 2014 this could be a developmental disadvantage for her foal as they all are given a birthdate of Jan 1st even though they were born in the late summer/fall/winter of 2015. Only an assumption...but probably, they may skip breeding Zenyatta in 2014. If they do breed her in 2014...then most likely they will hold off breeding her in 2015. A June foal might not be considered a late season foal to some...but remember-Zenyatta was a slow developing filly and that would probably be a heavy factor on how late in the year they can or will breed her for next year or 2015.

• edited June 2013
    The "rumor" is she went to War Front on May 8th. No official word so I'm waiting for info from this page. However, if that is the case she would probably foal mid April or so give or take a few weeks. After this foal they probably will give her a year off in 2014 since that would put her having a late foal. Zenyatta's dam has a history of late developing foals that would most likely be the case with Zenny as well because of her size and both boys seem to be pretty big. Then they would probably have her bred in February of 2015
  • edited June 2013
    Margaret...There is no correction needed on my posting above. EVERYONE KNOWS that on the first cover with Bernardini, that the fetus was absorbed...this is what I mean is as "did not take". I think you just went further than was necessary on the terminology I used. :o)
  • edited June 2013
    Yes...it is true with mother nature that if a mare needs a rest...she will not go into foal. But we are also dealing with the racing industry (controlled breeding). Many breeders/owners will purposely not breed a mare if the foal will be born too late in the foaling season and be placed at a disadvantage against other foals born earlier in the year.