Attention forum members! Please read "Zenyatta.com Forum Rules" and "Posting Images – Rules & Guidelines"
If you DO NOT have an account here and would like one, please email us at forum@zenyatta.com

ORB!

13»

Comments

• Welcome Kyla.....
  • Rosario hurt on Friday….will he ride Orb in Travers?
    Friday, August 23, 2013 by:Tim Wilkin, staff writer Times-Union
    SARATOGA SPRINGS — Dinny Phipps, who co-owns Kentucky Derby winner Orb with his cousin, Stuart Janney, hopes he doesn’t have to start calling jockeys Saturday morning. He hopes that Joel Rosario, who has ridden Orb in eight of his 10 starts, will be on board when the colt takes his place in the starting gate for the $1 million Travers Stakes.
    Rosario was injured during Friday’s card at the Spa when his mount, Casual Elegance, tossed the rider at the finish line of the seventh race. Rosario lay motionless on the inner turf course for several minutes before getting up. He was limping when he was taken back to the jockey’s room via golf cart.
    According to his agent, Ron Anderson, Rosario has a broken bone in his left foot after x-rays were taken at Saratoga Hospital. Rosario is scheduled to see a doctor on Saturday to find out if he can ride the Spa card
    http://blog.timesunion.com/horseracing/rosario-hurt-on-friday-will-be-ride-orb-in-travers/10205/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • edited August 2013
    Orb to get Lazcano as the mount, Rosario out 6 weeks
  • edited August 2013
    Hi Kyla, glad to have you in the Forum. Your plan to limit your time spent glued to all sources of horse-related info is great. Hope you can stick to it. I have great trouble limiting my on-line time, which causes me to spend most of my days sleep-deprived. LOL. Planning to watch the Travers today, though. Hope I can stay awake.
  • Thank you for the welcome :)

Sorry to hear about Rosario not being able to ride - I hope he is able to win even with the rider change!
  • Welcome Kyla. Did the jockey change hurt Orb today or was it the layoff. So now, who is 3-yr old champ. Thought Orb did well today. Contrats to WTC.
  • who won the Travers today?
  • Will Take Charge.
  • edited August 2013
    I was sort of rooting for Moreno because I used to teach in the next town west of here--Moreno Valley--and he was a 30-1 long shot. (Moreno is Spanish for brown.) He almost did it! He led all the way, only to lose by a nostril! Sure was unexpected by everyone. LOL We were all so busy watching him hold off Orb that we didn't quite notice Will Take Charge charging up on the outside. It was a pretty exciting race. Actually, I thought Orb did pretty well. I think he and the jockey were both surprised that Moreno held on and that Will Take Charge was able to blow by. It was apparently considered a good sign that Orb came up the inside, which seemingly he "doesn't" like to do.
  • 2013 Travers Stakes
    Published on Aug 24, 2013
    Willis Horton's Will Take Charge finally got the big one, and did so at the expense of the country's top 3-year-olds when he nosed out Moreno to win the $1 million Travers Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course Aug. 24.
    The blaze-faced chestnut, a son of Unbridled's Song out of multiple grade I winner
    Take Charge Lady, finished ahead of Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) winner Orb, who was third, while Belmont Stakes (gr. I) and Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II) winner Palace Malice ran fourth.
    William Hill Haskell Invitational (gr. I) winner Verrazano, favored at 8-5, never fired and wound up seventh in the field of nine.
    It was the second major upset in a 3-year-old classic this year for 77-year-old Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas, who took the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) with Oxbow at odds of 15-1. Lukas also won the Travers with Thunder Gulch in 1995 and with Corporate Report in 1991.
    "It feels pretty good," Lukas remarked. "They were reminding me it's been a long time between drinks, but when they come like this, they come double."

• Travers: Will Take Charge, Moreno could square off in Pa. Derby
    Posted on August 25, 2013 by Jennie Rees Courier-Journal
    Following up on Saturday’s $1 million Travers Stakes:
    The top four finishers – with less than a length separating victorious Will Take Charge from fourth-place Palace Malice – all came out of Saturday’s $1 million Travers Stakes in fine fashion.
    Moreno, who led every stride except the last jump, is headed to the $1 million Pennsylvania. That well could be Will Take Charge’s next stop, though trainer D. Wayne Lukas mentioned the Jockey Club Gold Cup as a possibility, adding that he’d probably prefer to keep the colt against his age group.
    Kentucky Derby winner Orb, third in his first start in 77 days, is targeting Belmont’s Gold Cup. Trainer Todd Pletcher did not mention any race for Palace Malice (or seventh-place beaten favorite Verrazano) when questioned by reporters Sunday morning, though the Gold Cup would seem to make sense for the Belmont Stakes winner.
    http://blogs.courier-journal.com/racing/2013/08/25/travers-will-take-charge-moreno-could-square-off-in-pa-derby/
  • Yes, Orb did do well especially since the commentators kept going on about the 77 day layoff.
  • edited August 2013
    Its not like he was in a stall sleeping away the time, he was at fairhill getting a freshening using the hyperbaric chamber, the salt water soaks and the training track, shug did say he was going to train up to the race. Shug also said he liked fairhill so much and noticed a difference in some of hishorses that went there that he sent all of his horses there or will be lol. But remember all the races that Orb ran in before the derby. He had quite a busy scheduel. He deserved that break and he's Shug's first derby winner ;)
  • it is rather strange, strange enough to have Steve Haskin ponder about it in his new article

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2013/11/09/why-was-orb-retired.aspx
  • MT @claibornefarm Orb finds time between his busy stud duties to brush up on his knowledge in Biochemistry.

• Who knew? A stud genius in the making. Looks more interested in eating the book than reading it.
  • His idea of biochemistry is that look the mare gives him when he enters the shed LOL
  • He's a beauty. Bet the mares have a lot of biochemistry when they see him.
  • 2015 is gunna be a good year for foals
  • edited June 14
    What Orb looks like now.

Someone noted his 'crest'. Said its a founder waiting to happen?
    http://oi57.tinypic.com/2whmes7.jpg